Product Cloud

Monday, June 7, 2010

After God's Own Heart?

You know what gets me about King David? It's not how he committed adultery with Bathsheba, or even that he put a hit out on her husband to cover up the resulting pregnancy. It's not he seemed to just ditty-bop along as Absalom took his women, his army, and almost his kingdom. It's not that David defied God and counted his army. It's not that David had more wives than you could shake a stick at. What really gets me about David is that after all the crap he had pulled, he's described as a man who " had lived an exemplary life before God all his days, not going off on his own in willful defiance of God's clear directions (except for that time with Uriah the Hittite)(1 Ki 15:5, MSG). HELLO? What about nearly killing Nabal? What about all the stuff I've already mentioned?
But then, I look at my own life. I call myself a Christian. Have I obeyed perfectly? Have I loved God with every fiber of my being, and loved my neighbor as myself? Man, it is so easy to be self-righteous. It is so easy to look at David, at all his failures and shortcomings, and then puff myself up with pride. But then, when I get that way, I have to remind myself to look to the cross. Jesus took the sin of David, just as he took my sin. I fail. I fall short. I miss the mark on a daily basis. But God dealt with my sin at Golgotha, and I, too, can be called a man after God's own heart.

No comments: